Update (10/20/21): Focusing on other life priorities at the moment! Miss it here dearly. Contact me if you need anything! :) Thank you!

2.05.2016

Poem: "Nightmare Bell"

CC image by Anshum Mandore via Flickr

Nightmare Bell
By: Eve Estelle

Ancient walls of darkened stone,
They make up this structure brimming with secrets -
Looming large with a heavy air,
Some even say it seems aware,
And the curious are drawn to its storied grounds.

The sun has slid beneath the horizon,
Setting once more upon the mortal day,
To bring forth the allure of the shadows,
To make way for the sibylline night.

Ivy bursts through the cracks in the walls,
As you wander the halls gone silent with time;
Brushed by whispers of heavenly laughter,
And the murmurs of time-lost voices -
Echoes of an era, imprints left in stone.

Mysterious, maddening, enthralling -
These halls tell of a tormented past,
Witness to the events of a bygone life,
And ever since forsaken.

Walk the path trodden black by this fallen soul,
Enter into his courtyard;
A large open space, quiet as the rest,
And scarred by decay.
An eldritch bell adorns the middle,
A bell with no stand, floating free,
Polished silver with an amethyst glow;
From it dangles a chain,
Swaying to and fro.

Pull the chain, ring the bell,
Be spared the pain of the living hell.
Ring the bell, ring the bell,
There's more to see, more to tell.

From the bell, a resounding toll,
Resonant and clear;
A violet haze surrounds your eyes,
And fills you with fear.

The bell was rung, you pulled the chain;
Ignored the heralds, played my game.
Now join them in their timeless pain.

The bell chimes the midnight chord!

15 comments:

  1. It is such a beautiful poetry and I love how the picture matches with the poem. It is amazing! I do have a question. Where do you get your inspiration from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heena! :) I get my inspiration from everywhere. It just has to be something that hits me right. Something that, when I hear it, see it, read it, whatever - it motivates me to write something. It might be related to it, or it might have spurred a new image or idea. Sometimes it's just a random thought, too. Anything!

      Delete
  2. HOLY CRAP EVE.
    THIS.
    IS.
    STUNNING.
    The imagery you used here is absolutely breathtaking; I can envision everything perfectly. My favorite lines are "The sun has slid beneath the horizon", "To make way for the sibylline night", and "Mysterious, maddening, enthralling/These halls tell of a tormented past".

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you think so, Ellie! Thank you. Those are some of my favorite lines in there, too - I just love the word "sibylline." Thank you for your kind words! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow. All your adjectives are so pretty and visual, Eve. : )

    Random question, do you enjoy reading fantasy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I tried to focus on imagery a lot here, so I'm glad that it seems to have come out well.

      Yes! Love my fantasy.

      Delete
    2. Figured as much. ^_^ If you like 'weird' fantasy (it was weird to me anyways. ;) ), I suggest signing up for author Heather Fitzgerald's newsletter and getting the free ebook of "The Asylum". Just a book recommendation. ;)

      Delete
    3. Oh neat, it's a sort of modern-day retelling of Beauty and the Beast, according to her site. I like it. :) I will definitely have to try it sometime. Can't get to it quite yet, but I'll add it to my list.

      Thanks, Faith! Appreciate the recommendation. ^^

      Delete
    4. Yep, those parts were sweet. :)

      You're so welcome!!

      Delete
  4. I nominated you for the Infinity Dreams Award! :-) If you're interested, you can see the full post here: http://fireflysstoryspace.blogspot.com/2016/02/infinity-dreams-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! :) I will get to it ASAP!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This poem is simply fabulous. I love the tone of it. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh after looking at more of your poems I think this one might be my favorite of them all. Its so beautifully written and just this poem just blew me away. I love poems that kinda tell a story with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love narrative poetry! It's such a fun way to both read and write a story. It's hard, though, and I'm still working on making my poems flow smoothly and consistently. The sort of supernatural mystery theme here is one of my favorites to write with.

      I'm glad you found this to your liking! Thank you for the kind words. :)

      Delete

Your comments make my day, and I appreciate every single of them. Let me know what's on your mind, and don't hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions. I'll do my best to get back to you!

Make sure to tick the little "Notify me" box if you would like to be notified when there are any replies or further comments.

*Blogger is currently having issues with email notifications related to comments. Please excuse any response delays, and check back frequently!