Update (10/20/21): Focusing on other life priorities at the moment! Miss it here dearly. Contact me if you need anything! :) Thank you!

5.26.2016

Poem: "Mockingbird Red"

CC image by Abhijit Chendvankar via Flickr

Mockingbird Red
By: Eve Estelle

Soft, fragrant, carmine petals,
As gentle and sweet as a silken fold;
They lay upon my table still,
A silent warmth to ward my heart;
And a reminder left that has frozen cold -
Thorns prick, and they adorn the rose;
Alluring beauty, but trouble knows,
Red in all of its glory.

Now I listen close, the curtains stir -
A shadow's cast by the window light,
A familiar face I've seen before;
Lift my heart, let that be you,
Lest it break my fragile core.

Euphoric smile, butterflies fly -
Let it be your gorgeous eye;
Careful steps, I hear your voice -
But look behind the curtains stirred,
..And all you'll find is a mockingbird.


Author's note: This poem was written for the weekly Thursday's Poetry Challenge hosted by Allie Taylor over at The Depth of My Faith and was based a on three-word item prompt: Rose, Curtain, Mockingbird. (Totally hit a new record, too, by finishing this within an hour. That's a rarity.)


Thank you, Allie! :)

8 comments:

  1. very beautiful and lovely especially for that prompt..great work Eve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Seema! :) Nice to see you stop by!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh congrats on first place! THIS POEM IS SO GORGEOUS AGH. The last couple lines are so haunting.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ^^ I wish I had devoted a couple more lines to the mockingbird, and maybe some other descriptions, but I'm happy with the result for such a quick write!

      Delete
  3. I have recently been starting to not enjoy but understand poetry more; your blog is the reason behind this. Thank you for showing a different perceptive of poetry as the stereotype is confusing words with fancy ink!. Focusing on the poem, I bloody well hope you win that challenge as it was such great text. Also "Fragrant" what an interesting word, learned something new today.

    -Marcin (Martin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, "fragrant" is a great word, isn't it? Fragrantflowers, fragrant candles.. :) It makes me so happy that my blog is helping you understand poetry a little more! That's really nice to hear. Poetry can be super confusing - it's amazing, though, what can be hidden beneath a word.

      Thank you for your kind words, Martin!

      Delete
  4. Do you think you'll ever publish your poetry in a collection or something of that sort? Every poem of yours I read is so amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Julia! Funny you mention that, actually, because I'm indeed planning on getting one together and am currently working on the cover for it. :) Don't know when it'll be out (and it'll just be a self-publish thing, probably to Amazon and Smashwords), but I will post updates whenever I have them!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, and I appreciate every single of them. Let me know what's on your mind, and don't hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions. I'll do my best to get back to you!

Make sure to tick the little "Notify me" box if you would like to be notified when there are any replies or further comments.

*Blogger is currently having issues with email notifications related to comments. Please excuse any response delays, and check back frequently!