Update (10/20/21): Focusing on other life priorities at the moment! Miss it here dearly. Contact me if you need anything! :) Thank you!

9.20.2016

The Blogging Olympics & Text Tags

Hey there!

Kanra from The Lunar Descent recently tagged me via Twitter for a couple of tags, these being The Blogging Olympics Tag and The Text Tag. Check 'em out below! :) And make sure to give this wonderful blogger a visit as well - she's got a great personality, posts a lot of great tips and advice, her experiences as a med student, and an assortment of other things. She's also a fantastic writer, as shown by her winning entry in my Campfire Tales contest.

First up:


The Blogging Olympics Tag
The Blogging Olympics Tag

The Olympics are over now, but we can still have some fun with them in tag form! (For the record, Kanra did actually tag me while the Olympics were still going, I just didn't get to it in time lol..)


Rules

  • Publish a post with the questions (you can add your own)
  • Thank the blogger who tagged you
  • Tag others
  • Use the Olympics post image (attached) or create your own


Questions:


Team?

Team USA! :) I don't actually watch the Olympics, though, so I'm really not attached to any particular team.

If you could compete in an event, what would it be?

Now that I think about it, I'm not that familiar with what events are in the Games! Maybe one of the equestrian events, figure skating, or archery. (Er, this definitely doesn't mean that I'd be any good at them.)

Favorite event to watch?

Like Kanra herself, I'm not much into watching sports, and the Olympics are no exception to this. I do, however, love the ceremonies. I usually don't remember to tune in at the right time, but if my TV happens to be on the right channel when they come on, there's a very good chance that I'm going to get pulled in by the beautiful displays (no shame) and stick around.

Olympian you most admire?

I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about any of them, except for the names of a few! So I don't admire any particular Olympian, but I do admire the courage, strength, perseverance that being an Olympic participant requires.

(Kanra also shared this great story while responding to her set of questions, about a Chinese reporter running down Usain Bolt with a segway and giving him a friendship bracelet in apology. I loved that.)

What sports do you currently play?

None at the moment! I'd love to get back into ice skating and/or horseback riding, though, sometime soon. If I could ever actually make it to these places to sign back up. *smacks hand* Bad Eve. Lazy Eve.

I do - sort of - play badminton. Not really. I mean, there are rackets, and birdies, and birdies being hit with rackets, and then birdies landing on my roof after someone whacks one in the wrong direction - but there are no teams, no nets. Just casual, ruleless games between a couple of friends. Things like that.

Summer or Winter Olympics?

Winter Olympics, for sure! Love the wintry setting and atmosphere. :) Also, can you imagine how hot the Summer Games are? Especially in areas like Rio. I would die. And I don't want to be reminded of this fact - the fact that it is hot, when I'm sitting in my living room in the middle of summer, dying anyway.

*Hooray for hyperbole*

Ever been to the Olympics in person?

No, but I bet it would be quite the experience! Even for someone not that into watching sports.

Which opening/closing ceremonies rank among your favorites?

In all honesty, I've only seen a few - part of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games opening, part of Beijing's closing ceremony during the '08 Summer Games, uh.. I think maybe one or two more that I can't remember.

But my favorite thus far, and the only one that I've for sure seen all of, was the Sochi Winter Games opening in 2014. I was pretty into Russian culture around that time, and I loved seeing the beautiful ways that they incorporated it into the ceremony. The Sochi opening was actually part of the original inspiration for my poem, "Troika," I just never got around to writing it until recently!

If you want to check it out sometime, you can watch this lovely ceremony in full on the official Olympic YouTube channel.

A sport that should be in the Olympics?

Professional snow angel making. Eh? Yes? Anyone? Anyone? Ahhh.. maybe not. :)

What do you think would be going through your head right before you were about to compete in the Olympics?

I think this question can be answered appropriately only in GIFs (which I really don't say often enough). However, the chosen GIFs are being a major pain in the butt at the moment, so I must leave you with a link to 25 Panic GIFs courtesy of Mashable.


Tags

I don't know which of you are fans of the Olympics, and so I'm going to leave the tagging open to any who'd like to take this one on! Here's a clean copy of the questions for those of you who decide to do this:

Team?
If you could compete in an event, what would it be?
Favorite event to watch?
Olympian you most admire?
What sports do you currently play?
Summer or Winter Olympics?
Ever been to the Olympics in person?
Which opening/closing ceremonies rank among your favorites?
A sport that should be in the Olympics?
What do you think would be going through your head right before you were about to compete in the Olympics?


------------------------------------------------------------------


The Text Tag


Questions


What's your favorite letter of the alphabet?


Via Pinterest

Tough one, but I've always had a soft spot for my first initial, K. :) It can be a pain to draw at times, but there are so many unique flourishes you can add to it as well. 


What are three words that you love?

Oh, man.. This'll have to be off the top of my head. There are just too many good ones.



Evanesce

[ev-uh-ness, ev-uh-ness]

- Verb: pass out of sight, memory, or existence (Google's definition)

- Verb: to disappear gradually; vanish; fade away (Dictionary.com)




Nightmare

[nayht-mair]

- Noun: a frightening or unpleasant dream (Google's definition)

- Noun: a terrifying or very unpleasant experience or prospect (Google's definition)

- Noun: a person, thing, or situation that is very difficult to deal with (Google's definition)




Eidolon

[ahy-doh-luh n]

- Noun: an idealized person or thing (Google's definition)

- Noun: a specter or phantom (Google's definition)

- Noun: an unsubstantial image; phantom (Merriam-Webster)

- Noun: ideal (Merriam-Webster)


Other worthy mentions: Asshat, hour, efflorescence, serpentine, time, chimera, echo... I could continue on forever.


If you were to create a word, what would it be and what would it describe?

Uh. Well. Drawin' a blank here, so I'm gonna have to go with one I came up with on the spot and would actually really hate if it was added to the dictionary:

Mindmoat

You know when you procrastinate on something and each time you put it off it just gets harder and harder to get it done? Yeah. With this marvelous new word at your disposal, you could say you dug yourself a grand ol' mindmoat.

...The water is very erosive. Mindmoats double in size every hour. Avoid creation of a mindmoat.


What are your three favorite punctuation marks?

Ooo, well, I do love my brackets and parentheses: [ ], ( ), { }

I also love question marks?

And you know what, I also love the slash: /

I want to like the comma. It has good intentions, breakin' up our sentences with pauses and all. But then it has to get all picky on where it wants to be placed, and I just... you're too complicated for me, comma, too complicated.


What are your three favorite fonts?

This is an impossible question, so I'm just going to open up Microsoft Word and pick 3:




I also love the Cinzel font from Canva, and the font I used for my blog's header, which is from Picmonkey and called, if I remember right, Bleeding Cowboys.


Which do you prefer, handwritten or typed notes?

Handwritten! I've always loved handwritten notes. There's just something special about them! Depends on what kind of notes you're talking about, though. If you mean notes like letters, handwritten. If you mean notes to remember things, typed. Or both, really. But anytime I take notes on things they rarely make any sense to me later on, so you won't find me doing much of either.


Tags


Erika Gold @ Books and Stars

Jonathan Trout @ Fishing for Ideas

Evelyn Clickman @ If These Stars Shall Fall

Vani @ Plain Jane

Niki Lee @ Niki mint




Your Questions


Once again, here's a clean copy of the questions for you all to easily copy/paste:

What's your favorite letter of the alphabet?
What are three words that you love?
If you were to create a word, what would it be and what would it describe?
What are your three favorite punctuation marks?
What are your three favorite fonts?
Which do you prefer, handwritten or typed notes?

No rules came along with this tag, but others have been adding one extra question of their own to the list, so here's one more: What is your favorite word from another language?
-------------------------

Whew. That was a lot. Kudos to you if you made it through the whole thing! Thank you again to Kanra for tagging me! :)

Next post will (hopefully) be out by the end of the week, or the beginning of next week. I'm also starting to prepare for Edge of Night's second birthday in early October, and I have a little gift that I'll share with you then to make up for Nightfall's postponement. :)

18 comments:

  1. Fun post, Eve! Oh, I love doodling with the letter K. :D My best friend's name starts with a K and I would rather doodle stuff with her name than my own. F isn't too creative, LOL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! K is an interesting letter. A lot of people hate it because it can be tricky or just annoying to write down, so it's nice to finally see a fellow lover of K lol. F is fun too, though! Can't get quite as creative as with K, agreed, but it's still a pretty great letter! :D

      Delete
  2. Your answers are always fun to read :D Being a writer, the text tag is perfect for you. You have such amazing choice of words (some that I just learned after reading your post :P). These tags are another way to get to know you better which is great :D I love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too! I was excited to get to work on the text one. I wanted to tag you and a few others (like Faith above) for this as well, but I have another tag I'm working on and decided to include your names there.. :D (total spoilers). So, if you'd like to do this, feel free. I just didn't want to be a pain in the butt and tag people multiple times in a row.

      Definitely - I hope you all have as much fun reading them as I do answering them. :) I'm happy to hear you learned some new words! That's always awesome! :D Thanks so much, Heena.

      Delete
    2. Ohh that is actually very sweet of you to think of us. I totally understand that. I also wanted to tag you in some challenges or tags but I know you are taking some time to write your stories and do your things and I just didn't want to get you all tied up with these tags and all. I also love when you do them because it's always fun to read your answers. :D

      Delete
    3. Aw I appreciate the thought! ^^ I'll let you know whenever I'm unable to participate, though, so don't ever feel like you're being a bother or anything. :) I'm really glad you enjoy them! Whoever first started spreading these tags and challenges around the blogosphere was brilliant lol.

      Delete
  3. Eidolan is such a beautiful word! Some of my favorites are amaranthine and confetti.

    HOLY CRAP THOSE FONTS ARE AMAZING. My favorite is definitely Quicksand :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Ahh I love amaranthine as well. The word "amaranth" in general, really. Confetti! Now that's not one I would've thought of! That's such a fun one to say.

      Quicksand is a good one! :) That's from Picmonkey, right? I at least remember seeing a Quicksand font there.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for tagging me. :D I really liked the text tag and your answers as well!
    I would love to do that only.
    I don't watch tv much and sports? LOL XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! :D I was torn between tagging you for the text tag or for the next tag that I have to do.. Plus I wasn't sure if you participated in tags at all. So, since I've not tagged you for anything before now, you might see your name come up again soon! But don't feel like you have to do either of them!

      LOL. Sports is just one of those things that I think is better watched in person..

      Delete
  5. Yes I don't normally do any tags... I just did a Liebster one before! That als got deleted by mistake.
    But this text one seems good for a writer, so I want to do it... :D
    It's okay you can always tag me!! Not going kill you for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hate when things get deleted.. lol. I thought so as well - that's why I thought I'd tag you for it anyway! It's a fun one. Good to know! :D I do a decent number of tags (they always come in waves. Without fail, every time), so there will definitely be more for you in the future if you feel like it! Even if you don't do them, still some extra exposure for your blog. :)

      Delete
    2. I did it! :D
      http://www.plainjane.in/p/writer-ish.html

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Love it! :D "Handwritten notes are life." Truer words have never been spoken, Vani! lol. Ellipses... How in the world did I forget about ellipses on question #4. "Increasion" should totally be a word.

      Thanks so much for participating! :D Hope you had fun with it!

      Delete
    4. :D Thanks buddy!
      Ellipses are my fav! <3
      Honestly, I enjoyed doing this a lot. Please do tag me in such posts!

      Delete
    5. I was just recently studying ellipses and their properties; I love them even more now after hearing about what they do with sound, and it's become a goal of mine to visit a whispering gallery lol.

      Sure will!

      Delete
  6. Hey check this out- mentalfloss.com/article/59071/little-known-punctuation-marks-national-punctuation-day
    I think it's very interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Those are amazing! :D I can't even pick a favorite - though the interrobang and SarcMark are great xD. Thanks for sharing that! How fun lol. Never heard of any of those.

      Delete

Your comments make my day, and I appreciate every single of them. Let me know what's on your mind, and don't hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions. I'll do my best to get back to you!

Make sure to tick the little "Notify me" box if you would like to be notified when there are any replies or further comments.

*Blogger is currently having issues with email notifications related to comments. Please excuse any response delays, and check back frequently!