Update (10/20/21): Focusing on other life priorities at the moment! Miss it here dearly. Contact me if you need anything! :) Thank you!

5.27.2017

Poem: "The High Road"


The High Road
By: Eve Estelle

Oh, the sky is shining bright, bright blue,
Shining, shining, down on you -
My little, little Mary Sue,
Who so bravely rode that gilded horse
High upon the tor, stood there tall
And full of pride;
Who went to war against the tried -
Never, never lost their stride,
Instead called upon their rallied flock,
Those pristine hides and virgin voices
That had yet to wade in the red river;
Giver, giver, but quick on the trigger -
Purge the wicked and hush the words,
Burn the books, and ban the birds,
May the ashes cushion your fall.

Oh, you take the high road,
And I'll take the low;
I'll be in Scotland before you..



Author's note: This was my first attempt at mild satire - though it kind of starts to lose the "satire" aspect pretty early on. The title is important, here, however. It's normally considered a noble thing, to take the high road... So what in the world, then, is up with the difference in tone and that first stanza's ending?

On another note, the last three italicized lines are also lyrics from the song titled "The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond."

8 comments:

  1. Great writing Eve, I sense a very dark feeling from the 1st Stanza, it develops really good juxtaposition between "the two roads".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin! Yeah, the beginning makes it sound upbeat and lighthearted on the surface, but it's very much a mockery of the title and situation, which (hopefully) becomes obvious by the end. Glad you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  2. Really good poem. Enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely, Eve! I especially like the repeated words -- shining, little, never, giver... Love that. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repetition like that is something I tend to have difficulties with - it usually comes out feeling completely unnecessary. I really like how it came out here, though, and I was super happy to finally be able to make use of that technique lol. Thank you!! :)

      Delete
  4. You are amazing! You have a bright future in literarture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! :D Very kind of you to say. I would love that. <3

      Delete

Your comments make my day, and I appreciate every single of them. Let me know what's on your mind, and don't hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions. I'll do my best to get back to you!

Make sure to tick the little "Notify me" box if you would like to be notified when there are any replies or further comments.

*Blogger is currently having issues with email notifications related to comments. Please excuse any response delays, and check back frequently!